Share

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Visual Dhikr

I may not be the best painter but I love to do it and it brings me joy. I would suggest painting to anyone and everyone. Personally, the best time for me is in the morning, before and after Fajr. Here are some things I've been working on.

I just started trying to get into Arabic and playing with shaping the letters. Keep in mind I don't know Arabic or know calligraphy. Any error is my error.

First piece



















The Guide
2010. Acrylic and Ink on rice paper, 9 3/4" X 4 7/8"
I really love the texture and earthy feeling of the rice paper. Unfortunately, the texture made it a little hard to keep my lines even.















God is Great
2010. Acrylic on Canvas, 6" X 8"
God is Great in the shape of a heart. This one was a little tricky and took me a while to figure out the letters and how I could form them into a heart.
















Allah
2010. Acrylic on Canvas 9" X 11 1/2" WORK IN PROGRESS
NOTE TO SELF: Don't start a project with very little white and yellow paint left.
I've been thinking a lot about basic patterns and how they can instead be looked at as dhikr. This is a really fun, vintage inspired piece. Vintage inspired in the color choices. I was greatly inspired to try out patterns as Dhikr because of a group I saw on Facebook called something along the lines of Beleiving in God Doesn't have to be boring. Forgive my sense of humor.















Bismillah Sketch
Again playing off the above mentioned.
Plaid pattern, yet to be painted. Insha'allah I will get more paints soon.
















I can't help but think that my photo album is inspired by the intricate Islamic patterns.

No comments:

Post a Comment